The Blackmore Club, Adelaide
The Blackmore Club was founded in 1989 and the members comprise of former Saints (Collegiate School of St Peters) rowers, and current and former coaches and parents.
“Connecting current and former Saints rowers and supporters”
The Blackmore Club is named after Mr Edwin Gordon Blackmore who was, for many years, coach and adviser to the St Peter’s College Boat Club. In 1893, as President of the South Australian Rowing Association, he presented the Blackmore Shield for competition between the first crews of St Peter’s College and Prince Alfred College. At that time it was a race between fours, unlike today where it is a race between eights.
The Blackmore Club aims to encourage, foster, support, and promote rowing at St Peter’s College. To achieve this the Club brings together Old Scholars, parents and friends, with a common interest in supporting Saints rowing.
The Club hosts Blackmore Club dinners and evening Sundowners at the Saints Boat Shed. During the season the Club provides a sausage sizzle after training two or three times a season for all squads. Each year, soon after the Head of the River, the Club presents the much sought after engraved Blackmore Club Medal to all winning crews at the Head of the River.
Edwin Gordon Blackmore
Edwin was a keen oarsman and coached the crew for St Peters Collegiate School for many years.
As a ‘rowing theorist’ and an original member of the Regatta Committee in 1884-87, he was elected first chairman of the South Australian Rowing Club (Association) on 3 September 1889.
He had great success as coach and donated the Blackmore Challenge Shield, first contested in 1893.
When his decision as judge of the ladies challenge shield on the 14th February 1898 was reversed on appeal in his absence, he summarily resigned and withdrew his bank guarantee. Later, when elected vice-president on 27 September 1898, he declined the position.
George Henry Farr – Silver Medal – Thames Regatta 1843
“George Henry Farr, born 1819, older child and only son of George Farr and Eleanor Goodall, was Captain and stroke of his college eight while at Cambridge.
While reading for Law at the Inns of Court, London, he took part in the Thames Regatta of 1843 – he pulled No 3 in the winning eight and was awarded the silver medal.
George Henry Farr came to Adelaide South Australia In 1854 to be Headmaster of St Peters College.
His eldest child, Eleanora Elizabeth, married Edwin Gordon Blackmore on the 3rd January 1872.
Greg Blackmore – Yaralla Cup 1962
Great grandson of Edwin Gordon Blackmore and following, unknowingly, in the footsteps of his ancestors, Greg became a Coxen at the Kings School, Parramatta in 1960.
Starting out in the heavy wooden “Tubs” and he then coxed the Junior Eight shell and had a winning season with them in 1961. He then went on to cox the First Four in 1962 and won the Head of The River on the Nepean River against all schools, winning the “Yaralla Cup”.
The custom at the time was for winning crews at the Head of the River to be able to take home their Oars or Rudder.
The First Four was the main GPS rowing event until the eights racing began in 1910.
Until 1910 the Major Rennie Trophy, donated in 1894, was awarded for the First Four race. From that time it became the trophy for the First Eight race.
The Yaralla Cup was presented by Miss Eadith Walker in 1906. From 1906 to 1910, the Yaralla Cup was awarded for the Second Four race. In 1910 the Yaralla Cup became the First Four trophy.
Greg dropped out of being a Coxen in his final year of School. Who knows, he may have been handed the Schools First Eight had he stayed on.