The Wreck of the Lithgow-Mudgee mail train at Clandulla.
Lew and Louie Blackmore purchased “Chester” at Clandulla in 1952 and moved there from “Rosedale” Kandos (near Charbon Cement Works) where they had been living since 1945.
Lew’s parents, Jack and Edith Blackmore had previously, in 1929, purchased the adjoining property “Mt View” and had moved there from “Landsdowne”, near Cowra, to get away from cropping and run fine wool Merino sheep.
As the only shearing shed was on “Mt View”, gates were put on either side of the railway line to allow sheep to cross for shearing. A good lookout was always posted either side of the crossing.
“Chester” was sold around 1968 and “Mt View” in 1972. The the new owner of “Chester”, was, firstly, a Mr. Gordon, who had moved there from around Orange. He later sold the property to Peter Martin. Both the new owners must have continued to use the railway crossing.
Around 1981, a Clandulla local, Wayne Morton, was crossing the line on a bulldozer when the rippers became stuck on the tracks. The owner of “Chester”, Peter Martin, was with him and, as the crossing was near a bend in the line and cutting, they may not have seen or heard the approaching, diesel rail motor in time, and the rail motor driver was also unable to see them, until too late to stop.
Wayne Morton jumped off the dozer and Peter Martin had jumped back up to try and get it off the tracks when the train hit the bulldozer, killing Peter Martin.
The photos note that Mr. Peter Martin, 55, was killed and five passengers and the rail motor driver were injured.